Thank you to all of your teams for sharing your creativity, teamwork and problem-solving with us at the Sub-state Tournament. If you did not already see your team’s scores, they are on the state Web site on the Competitions page.
Those of you who have been with us for a number of years likely know that though we recognize 1st, 2nd and 3rd place teams at the Sub-state Tournament, ALL of our competitive teams advance to the State competition unless:
- they do not have a trained Appraiser who also served at Sub-state this season
- they made no visible effort toward a viable solution at the Sub-state Tournament
- they are disqualified because of Interference in Instant Challenge (discussing their Instant Challenge with non-team members before Global Finals), or
- they choose not to advance.
We are looking forward to seeing your improved solutions at the State Tournament. Watch for a special post this week about understanding your Tournament scores.
Lost & Found:
- Several items were left behind at the Sub-state Tournament. If you have lost something, please send us an email, letting us know what you have lost or left behind, and we’ll let you know if that item has been found.
Who qualifies to compete at Global Finals at the University of Tennessee-Knoxville May 23-26, 2012?
- Global Finals qualification is a two-step process, consisting of (a) being the first place team in a Challenge and Level at the State Tournament, and (b) being certified as “Globals ready” by the Affiliate Director.
- If your team is the only team in its Challenge and Level, you qualify to advance to Global Finals only if your team is certified as being “Globals ready” by the Affiliate Director.
- If there is a first place tie, then the tied teams may qualify to advance to Global Finals. A tie consists of 2 or more teams that are within 1 point of each other.
- If a first place team chooses not to compete at Global Finals, then the 2nd place team may be invited in its place. If you are a 2nd place team, do not discard your props immediately after the Tournament! Wait for a couple of weeks before doing so.
State Tournament schedule:
- The schedule will be posted on the Web site 1 to 1-1/2 weeks before the Tournament so that you have time to get your special schedule requests to us.
- Special schedule requests must be submitted by the Coordinator or Team Manager only NO LATER than 14 days before the State Tournament. We will do our best to accommodate special requests, but please understand that some requests may not be logistically possible. Please be as specific as possible in your request. Provide your team number and details in writing about why you need special accommodations.
- If a special situation comes up AFTER the schedule is published, you are allowed to exchange places with another team in the SAME CHALLENGE & LEVEL if both teams notify us in advance. The exchange is then for both the Team Challenge and the Instant Challenge.
- If your team withdraws from the State Tournament, please let us know, since this affects the schedule.
- All special schedule requests need to be emailed to: email@example.com
- Do you have high school students who are graduating this year? Please get the word out to them that we have 2 scholarships for which they can apply. One is the non-renewable Students for a Creative Iowa Student Scholarship for $500. The other is the non-renewable Kitch-Eilerts Memorial Scholarship for $500. Both scholarships require applicants to write essay responses of 250-750 words apiece to 4 questions.
- The deadline for submitting scholarship applications is Friday, March 16, 2012.
- Scholarship application details are found here: http://www.cre8iowa.org/2010-2011-season/scholarships/
Tell Us Your Story Video Contest:
Destination ImagiNation has been changing lives for 29 years. With more than a million alumni and 38,000 volunteers worldwide, it has made a huge impact on many kids and adults. So tell us how DI has changed your life. We want to hear about the late nights practicing, about your first Tournament with your team, life-long friendships, and problems solved. Be creative and tell us something great!
This contest is open to ALL Destination Imagination team members, Team Managers & volunteers. The winning team member or Team Manager will receive free passes to Global Finals 2012 for their whole team. If you are a volunteer without a team, your winning entry will allow you to send the team of your choice to Global Finals. All you have to do is produce a 60-second video that tells us your story!
- The deadline for this contest is Friday, March 16, 2012.
- Details about the contest may be found here: http://www.idodi.org/index.php/who-we-are/news/347-tell-us-your-story-video-contest
Parade of Shirts at State Tournament:
- There will be a Parade of Shirts at the State Tournament.
- Use your creativity to embellish the back of this season’s Affiliate T-shirt, whose theme is Legendary Creativity.
- Get permission from your parents/guardians to participate.
- To participate, sign up your team at the Sales & Registration table by 3:30 p.m.
- A minimum of 5 teams is required.
If you have questions about anything in this post, please feel free to contact Judy Nolan at firstname.lastname@example.org.