Welcome to the 2012-13 season of Destination Imagination! Whether you are new to the program or returning, there will be training information on this page that you can use. When Team Managers and Coordinators across the state have access to the same information, this produces consistent understandings about the program, and in turn generates an even playing field for all teams. In other words, your team benefits!
The online training format, along with your official program materials, enables you to get up-to-speed quickly about the essentials of the program.
On December 1, 2012, there will be a face-to-face Advanced Training Workshop for Team Managers & Coordinators. It will be held in Ames from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Our goal is to finish on time, or earlier. This workshop covers more in-depth topics, not the same ones that are covered in the online podcast:
- Helping Your Team Understand How to Make Materials Work
- Drawing the Line Between Helping Your Team and Interfering
- Developing Skill Sets for Your Team Challenge
- Q & A with the Challenge Masters
We ask you to register in advance so that we will know how many people to expect and so that we’ll have working materials on hand for everyone. If you are interested, please register HERE no later than Monday, Nov. 26, 2012.
There is no additional charge for either the online training or the face-to-face workshop, as both are included in your Iowa membership fee. Although you have until mid-January to register for your Iowa membership, you can still take advantage of these training opportunities.
The online training begins below. It is divided up into segments so that you can listen to the audio files at your convenience. Please click on the related links after each podcast segment to get all the information you need.
Basic Training Podcast for Team Managers & Coordinators
Click on each boldfaced section to open the audio file in a separate window. Then switch back to this page. This allows you to listen to or pause the podcast while you look at this Web page at the same time. You can also click on the Related Links following each section.
- Getting Started (23 min., 58 sec.) -Windows format (WMA file); Getting Started – Mac format (MP3 file)
- Subtopics: Welcome, General Information You Need to Know, What’s New This Season, Team Packs, Program Materials, Team Formation, Iowa Membership Registration
- Materials needed: Rules of the Road, sticky notes, highlighter, pen
- Related Links:
- Follow us on Facebook by clicking on the Like button.
- Follow us on Twitter.
- General Information You Need to Know:
- Tournament Policies
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Team Challenge Previews
- Top Reasons to Be An Appraiser
- How to Find Appraisers
- Ways to Get Parents Involved in Destination ImagiNation
- cre8iowa Contact Information
- Where to Go for Help
- Suggested Resources for Instant Challenges, Team Building Activities & Improvisation
- What’s New This Season:
- Resource Area of Destination Imagination
- Iowa Membership Registration
- Appraiser information
- Overview of the Program (33 min., 6 sec.) – Windows format (WMA file); Overview of the Program – Mac format (MP3 file)
- Subtopics: Main Components of DI Program, Stages of the Program, Highlights About Program Materials
- Materials needed: Rules of the Road, Roadmap, Team Challenges, sticky notes, highlighter, pen
- Related links:
- How to Facilitate Effectively (15 min., 32 sec.) – Windows format (WMA file); How to Facilitate Effectively – Mac format (MP3 file)
- Understanding Interference(10 min., 5 sec.) – Windows format (WMA file); Understanding Interference – Mac format (MP3 file)
- Facilitating Instant Challenge(16 min., 10 sec.) – Windows format (WMA file); Facilitating Instant Challenge – Mac format (MP3 file)
- Subtopics: Overview, Procedure, Where to Find Instant Challenges, Types of Instant Challenges, Practice Guidelines, Procedural Technicalities, Benefits
- Materials needed: Rules of the Road, Road Map, Instant Challenge Practice Set, sticky notes, highlighter, pen
- Related links:
- Instant Challenge Practice Set (available in Resource Area of Destination Imagination)
- Road Map (ships as part of program materials, but also available in Resource Area of Destination Imagination)
- cre8iowa Instant Challenge Library
- Destination ImagiNation® Support Committee (DISC) – Resources for Practicing Instant Challenge
- Tournament Procedures(18 min. 35 sec.) – Windows format (WMA file); Tournament Procedures – Mac format (MP3 file)
- Subtopics: Components of the Team Challenge, Special Notes, Paperwork Requirements, The Tournament Site
- Materials needed: Rules of the Road, Team Challenges, sticky notes, highlighter, pen
- Related links:
- Review & Self-Quiz: Being a DI Team Manager(2 min., 36 sec.) – Windows format (WMA file); Review & Self-Quiz: Being a DI Team Manager – Mac format (MP3 file)
- Subtopics: DI University, Podcast Training Evaluation, Advanced Training Workshop
- Materials needed: Rules of the Road
- Related links:
By my participation in an event conducted by an Affiliate, Region or other gathering related to the Destination ImagiNation program, the participant or participant’s parents or participant’s guardian understands and hereby voluntarily agrees to release, waive, forever discharge, hold harmless, defend and indemnify Destination Imagination Inc., and their agents, officers, boards, volunteers, and employees from any and all liability and all claims, actions, or losses for bodily injury, property damage, wrongful death, loss of services , or otherwise which may arise out of the participant’s participation in activities related to the Destination ImagiNation event, including travel to and from the event.