Our Appraisers are a vital component of Students for a Creative Iowa and our Tournaments. Without these volunteers, we could not have a successful tournament for our participants to showcase their solutions. To all our past and current Appraisers, THANK YOU!
Are you new to the Destination Imagination® program? Watch the videos on this page to learn more about the program.
We encourage all current and future Appraisers to read the 2012-13 Appraiser Guide, and to take the DI University Appraiser Training course found HERE.
We also encourage all interested Volunteers to fill out the online Code of Conduct found HERE. (Make sure you indicate that you belong to the Iowa Affiliate!) Please note, that all DI volunteers are required to fill out and sign a Code of Conduct form. However, Students for a Creative Iowa will provide hard copy forms as an alternative for the online Code of Conduct at Trainings and Tournaments.
Please note that each competitive and non-competitive team that performs in Challenges A – E plus projectOUTREACH® must provide a 2013-trained Appraiser. For these teams to perform at the Sub-state and State Tournaments, their trained Challenge Appraiser must appraise at both Tournaments. Although projectOUTREACH® teams perform only at the State Tournament, their Appraiser must appraise at both Tournaments. These rules ensure that all teams have an adequate number of well-trained Appraisers to watch, enjoy, and award points for team performances at each Tournament. Please note that the Appraiser are NOT allowed to leave their challenge site to watch their team perform.
Appraiser training involves one full day of training on one of three Saturdays in February, plus two full days of service at both Tournaments, i.e., the Sub-state Tournament and the State Tournament. Appraiser training dates (choose one) are as follows:
- Jan. 26, 2013 – Kirkwood Community College (Iowa City)
- 1816 Lower Muscatine Rd., Iowa City, IA 52240
- Check-In: Room ICCR 255
- Feb. 2, 2013 – Kuemper Catholic High School (Carroll)
- 116 S. East St Carroll, IA 51401
- Check-In: Cafeteria/Hallway
- Feb. 9, 2013 – Ames Middle School (Ames)
- 3915 Mortensen Road, Ames, IA 50014
- Check-In: Commons
You should arrive at 9 am to check-in/register. Training runs 10 am to 3 pm. In order to check-in, you should bring with you:
- 1 copy of Appraiser Registration page 4 (Note: Your Team Manager should give you this with the Team Information and the Conflict of Interest section already filled out)
- If you represent a team and the team did not provide the Appraiser Registration form, please download and complete this form (as much as possible): Team-representing Appraiser Form 2012-13
- If you are a friend of cre8iowa (an individual that is volunteering their time and/or support freely, i.e. does not represent a team), please download and complete this form (as much as possible): Friend of cre8iowa Appraiser Form 2012-13
- A pencil/pen
- $6 for lunch (or bring your own sack lunch)
Returning Appraisers who appraised in both 2011 and 2012:
You may pre-select your Challenge prior to training by e-mailing your request to: email@example.com prior to January 21, 2013.
This year, all Challenges will be trained at all locations EXCEPT for Challenge E, which will not be trained in Iowa City (Jan. 26).
All Rising Stars!® teams must provide one volunteer at the Sub-state Tournament who will serve in a non-scoring support capacity for 3 to 4 hours. Rising Stars!® volunteers are not required to attend training. They will receive further information from Mary Koester (firstname.lastname@example.org) closer to the time of the Tournament.
If you have any questions or concerns, please let us know right away by emailing email@example.com.
Want to learn more about volunteering to be an Appraiser? Please contact Keith Kutz at firstname.lastname@example.org