Thirteen Iowa teams pitted their creative problem solving expertise against the best teams in the world at Destination Imagination® (DI) Global Finals held May 23-26, 2012 at the University of Tennessee-Knoxville. After months of creative teamwork and successful competition at Iowa’s sub-state and state tournaments, these teams earned the right to advance to the international competition. Iowa success stories include a first place award for a high school team from West Des Moines in the Instant Challenge portion of the tournament, special recognition for a 7th place high school team from Maharishi School of the Age of Enlightenment in Fairfield, and an 11th place finish for a team from West Delaware High School in Manchester. Five of Iowa’s 13 teams finished in the top half of their level of competition.
This year’s Global Finals tournament was the largest in its history, with 1,276 teams competing from 45 states, 7 Canadian provinces and 13 countries. The competition was vigorous, the energy high, and the spirits of the participants were infectious. To enjoy a small taste of the Global Finals event that our participants and their supporters experienced, watch the video below. Congratulations to all of our Iowa teams; we’re proud of your creative problem solving efforts!
Results follow the video. To download a press release, click HERE.
Challenge A, Assembly Required
- Elementary Level: Team 112-29086, The Funky Chunky Monkeys (Meeker Elementary School, Ames): 26th place out of 48 teams
- Middle Level: Team 112-32153, You gonna eat that? (Maharishi School, Fairfield): 23rd place out of 55 teams
- Secondary Level: Team 112-02281, Double-00 Ninja Cats (Maple Valley Anthon Oto): 34th place tie out of 46 teams
Challenge B, The Solar Stage
- Elementary Level: Team 112-49092, The Killa Zombie Cows (Maharishi School, Fairfield): 55th place out of 59 teams
- Secondary Level: Team 112-24943, Hypothetically we have a Giant Mushroom (Maharishi School, Fairfield): 7th place out of 46 teams
Challenge C, Coming Attractions
- Middle Level: Team 112-45803, The Team that survived 2012 (Maharishi School, Fairfield): 22nd place out of 37 teams
Challenge D, News to Me
- Elementary Level: Team 112-68624, The Lucky Seven (Van Meter Community Schools, Van Meter): 32nd place tie out of 50 teams
- Secondary Level: Team 112-13914, Dingbatz (West Des Moines): 21st place out of 46 teams
- Secondary Level: Team 112-42484, Seductive Reasoning (Maharishi School, Fairfield): 18th place tie out of 46 teams
Challenge E, Hold It!
- Middle Level: Team 112-34296, Don’t put dapt in your nachos (Maharishi School, Fairfield): 50th place tie out of 61 teams
- Secondary Level: Team 112-34010, Deafened by the sneeze (Kuemper Catholic School, Carroll): 37th place out of 50 teams
projectOUTREACH®, The World Canvas
- Middle Level: Team 112-69469, All for Fun and Fun for All (Tornado Learning Club, Storm Lake): 27th place tie out of 43 teams
- Secondary Level: Team 112-56022, Hot Ashes (West Delaware High School, Manchester): 11th place out of 27 teams
Instant Challenge (special award)
- Secondary Level: Team 112-13914, Dingbatz (West Des Moines): 1st place out of 46 teams